The site of a World War Two military camp and heavy anti-aircraft battery; identified on aerial photographs taken in August 1945. (1)
Part of this site is scheduled: the standing and buried earthwork remains of part of World War II heavy anti-aircraft gun emplacements known as station DNH4. There are remains of two emplacements, an ancillary building and part of the associated track. There are also earthwork and buried remains of the command post. DNH4 was already built by February 1940. The site was associated with the defence of Derby and Rolls-Royce works. (2)
Scheduling record: English Heritage. 2002. SAM Notice: Heavy Gun Emplacement at Elvaston. 29992. Cat no 527.
Digital data: Archaeological Research Services (ARS) Ltd. 2009/2010. Aerial Photographic Mapping Survey carried out as part of an Aggregates Resource Project.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 41389 32608 (322m by 270m)
ELVASTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 31 2018 3:18PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.