Disused mill, with associated weirs, head and tail races. (1)
A mill is recorded at Doveridge in Domesday Book, with a value of 10s. It has been assumed that the later mill stood on the same site as the medieval mill, in meadows to the west of the church. Natural bends in the river were connected by a flume, a channel cut to allow the water to flow at speed along its length before rejoining the river. The mill was originally used to grind corn. In later years it was used in a variety of other ways, inclujding the generating of electricity and the pumping of water up to Doveridge Hall. However it was allowed to fall into disrepair and was eventually demolished. The wheel and the drive shaft were taken to Stoke-on-Trent, although whether for scrap or for the renovation of another mill is not clear. A few paintings of the mill survive, as does at least one photograph. (2)
In 1899 the property was described as 'A brick-built and tiled mill, fitted with 2 pairs of stones, water wheel and connecting gear', together with a small 3-bedroomed house and outbuildings which comprised a chaff house, stable for 2 horses, dairy, bake house and kitchen, drying kiln, piggery, waggon lodge and rick yard. (3)
Doveride Mill was described in 1969 as being in poor condition, in need of renovation and restoration. At that time it was in use as a farm house. (4)
The mill was demolished in the early 1970s. A bungalow was built (?on the same site) following its demolition. Remains of the sluice gate survive at the point where water from the Dove flowed into the mill stream. (5)
This brick mill, with a steep tiled roof, had a dovecote built into the eaves, above two undershot water wheels. The wheels were mounted on the same wall of the mill but on axles of different lengths so that both wheels could operate independently. Water from the River Dove fed the mill through a leat. The mill was demolished and all traces disappeared in the 1960s. It is one of the few mills in the county known to have two adjacent waterwheels in line. A photograph shows one of the waterwheels to have had a single set of arms with wooden floats. (6)
Map: OS 25", sheet Derbyshire LII.3, 1922 edition.
Bibliographic reference: Gibson, A. 1996. A History of Doveridge.
Bibliographic reference: 1890. Doveridge Hall Estate, Derbys. & Staffs, the property of the Right Hon Lord Waterpark. Sale Catalogue. 2nd edition, map.
Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 10(i).1, with photo.
Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. B21, p 73.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 1119 3407 (10m by 10m) (Approximate)
DOVERIDGE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 19 2015 4:23PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.