Listed Building record MDR7854 - Tapton Lock, Ford Lane Lock and St Helena's Weir Complex, Lockoford Lane, Chesterfield
Type and Period (1)
- CANAL LOCK (Georgian to 21st Century - 1777 AD? to 2050 AD)
Tapton Lock, Ford Lane Lock and St Helena's Weir Complex, Lockoford Lane, Chesterfield, built c1777. The initial section of restored Chesterfield Canal runs from the point at which it joined the Rother to the culverted bridge under Station Road, Brimington (SK388723-SK394738). This section includes a restored brick, humpbacked bridge at SK388724, and Tupton Lock. (1) These structures along with a series of weirs known as St Helena's Weir Complex were built to allow unhindered navigation up to Chesterfield Basin. Although St Helena's weir has been improved over the years, the other stuctures are original and restored to working condition. (2) From the National Heritage List for England: '1. LOCKFORD LANE 5169 Tapton Lock SE 37 SE 13/288 II 2. Circa 1777. (Chesterfield Canal by James Brindley but completed by his brother-in-law Henshall). Narrow lock constructed of stone with brick band and stone coping. Stone coped brickwork at entrance. Listing NGR: SK3870972921.' (3)
- <1> SDR19367 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 2000. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. Part V. North East Derbyshire. 17.
- <2> SDR22713 Correspondence: Smith, D (Chesterfield Canal Society). 1991. Letter to County Archaeologist dated 15/10/1991. Letter.
- <3> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1244623?section=official-list-entry.
|Grid reference||SK 38709 72921 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CHESTERFIELD, CHESTERFIELD, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 1 2022 1:36PM