Constructed in 1794, the Particular or Calvinistic Baptist Chapel was a brick built, porticoed building. Originally built at the expense of Arthur Ward, it was enlarged in the early 1800s and was 43ft long and 36ft wide. At the north end was a vestry and burial ground. (1)
The chapel was demolished to make way for the GNR viaduct (itself demolished in the 1980s). The graveyard was disturbed, and headstones from this now stand in the grounds of Pickford's House Museum. There is an account of a large concrete block, constructed at the time of the viaduct being built, which contains the bones of the deceased not claimed for reburial. The block is today adjacent to Derby Clutch Centre. (2)
The concrete block block referred to above is believed to seal the vault of the Bridgett family after it had been broken into and disturbed, possibly by workmen in around the 1920s who were filling unused railway arches under the adjacent viaduct with coke to prevent winter shortages. The concrete cover was cast over the vault at the instigation of members of the church and the family. (3)
Bibliographic reference: Glover, S. 1833. History, Gazetteer and Directory of the County of Derby. p 499.
Personal Observation: D'Arcy, J. 2002. Notes on file 5764.
Bibliographic reference: Radford, J B. 1964?. A Transcript of the Memorial Inscriptions in the Church and Churchyard of the Particular Baptist Chapel, Agard Street, Derby.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 34755 36513 (43m by 62m)
DERBY, DERBY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 14 2021 11:11AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.