Monument record MDR7877 - East Buxton Lime Works, St Peter's Pike, Wormhill
Type and Period (2)
- LIME KILN (Victorian - 1865 AD to 1870 AD)
- LIME WORKS (Victorian - 1865 AD to 1870 AD)
- None recorded
A small quarry and two limekilns are shown on the 1st ed. 25" OS map of c. 1880. By the end of the century the quarry had expanded considerably, accessed by a number of tramways. The site is named as East Buxton Lime Works. The quarry continued to expand northwards in the early 20th century. (1, 2, 3) Substantial remains of two large concrete-buttressed lime kilns built into the bank directly above the line of the railway. This was one of Buxton Lime Firm's quarries, closing in 1944. (5) The limekilns were assessed as part of the Monuments Protection Programme. They were described as two large lime kilns, built c. 1867 following the opening of the railway. They are situated north of the London-Manchester railway line near Miller's Dale station. They were extended by concrete shaft extension and mass concrete buttresses by Buxton Lime Firm in c. 1910-1920. They worked until 1944 and in 1993 were conserved and interpreted by the Peak Park Planning Board. The kilns are in an excellent state of preservation. Surviving features include the following: tunnel entrances and draw arch details (4 gritstone-lined arches, each with a single eye and 'toot' hole to gauge temperature and clear slag); firebrick-lined pots (capped) with tramway rails around each (and with a side-tipping jubilee wagon in place); incline to the top of the kiln. The quarry to the rear appears to survive in some form, but was not accessed for the assessment. There is a ruined brick and stone building of uncertain function to the west of the kilns which incorporates a long opening and chute. The overall assessment was that the site was an 'Excellent example of a bank of two massive 19th century draw kilns, with unusual rock-cut construction and striking 1910s concrete buttressing. (6)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR6994 Bibliographic reference: Harris, H. 1971. Industrial Archaeology of the Peak District.
- <5> SDR4751 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D. 1984. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology - A Gazetteer of Sites. Part I. Borough of High Peak. p 32.
- <6> SDR4923 Bibliographic reference: Trueman, M. 1997. Monuments Protection Programme, Step 3 Report: Lime, Cement and Plaster Industries- Site Assessment. Site 8.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 13127 73435 (340m by 271m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||WORMHILL, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 19 2015 3:32PM