Several references to Little Thrumpton were found in Sawley parish registers, with nine family names being identified spanning the period 1630-1738. Other references were found in a document of the Prebendal Manor Court of Sawley and in a bond of 1697. The Long Eaton enclosure award of 1767 permitted the identification of three small ancient enclosures called Little Thrumpton Closes sandwiched between the former open arable fields and an area of common pasture. These closes are less than a quarter of a mile from the old ferry to Thrumpton. The settlement had clearly been deserted by the time of enclosure in the second half of the 18th century. Fieldwork carried out in the three closes showed the most north-easterly of the closes to be new pasture, the central one to be ploughed and the third under flood prevention earthworks. (1)
See also SMR 22594 for the probable site of a building which may have belonged to Little Thrumpton.
Article in serial: Reedman, K. 1981. 'Little Thrumpton', Derbyshire Miscellany. Vol 9 (3), pp 67-68.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 50659 31680 (point)
LONG EATON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 6 2014 2:01PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.