Monument record MDR7912 - Post-medieval parkland, Egginton
Type and Period (3)
- LANDSCAPE PARK (Former Type) (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- FISHPOND (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MOAT (Former Type) ? (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Parkland associated with Egginton, later Egginton Hall, at SK 2636 2814; its extent is shown by parkland stipple. A Fish Pond is named on the map at SK 2630 2800 (1-5) Egginton Hall [SMR 19628] is shown (but not named) on the 1976 OS map; the parkland is depicted as open ground with trees, with some residential development along street frontages; an area of the fish pond is shown as marsh (6) Woods and fishponds of the old, now derelict [in 1984] Egginton Hall. A mixed wood originally planted with native and exotic trees, shrubs and plants, but left wild since the late 1940s or early 1950s, with adjacent ponds originally kept stocked with fish. The wood includes many items of natural history including a mature Cedar of Lebanon, a number of stands of yews, several mature holly trees, a stand of 5 large hornbeams, horse chestnuts, willows and ash trees of various sizes. In 1984 it was described as deteriorating due to vandalism, especially near to Fishpond Lane, with problems including tipping, damage to trees, trampling, removal of timber and motorcycle damage. (7) According to notes assembled at the beginning of the 20th century from family papers and memories, a moat 'in the Park' was filled in at the end of the 17th century as a result of garden building. The 50 acre park, landscaped in c. 1700 for Sir Henry Every by Lawrence Squibb of Derby, was relandscaped in the 1780s with much new planting and, making much use of the Dove which ran to the west of the house, a lake and cascade were created. The latter was crossed by a very pretty Chinoiserie footbridge, replaced in 1812 [see SMR 19635]. The orangery, arbour and temple - all were 18th century - have now gone. The great drawback of the park is that it was relentlessly flat, but contemporary views establish that its embellishment was highly successful, and it could well be the work of William Emes, who frequently worked in tandem with the Wyatts after the death of Joseph Pickford. An ice house lurked in a plantation called The Triangle until World War One, when it was destroyed. A fine pair of Wyatt Lodges once graced the drive from Ryknield Street. (8)
- <1> SDR17538 Map: OS. 1836. OS 1 inch 1st edition, Sheet 72. David & Charles reprint, Sheet 34, Stafford..
- <2> SDR18924 Map: OS. 1887. OS County Series, sheet Derbys LIV SW/Staffs XXXIV SW. 1:10560.
- <3> SDR18925 Map: OS. 1888. OS County Series, sheet Derbys LVII NW/Staffs XLI NW. 1:10560.
- <4> SDR18926 Map: OS. 1924. OS County Series, sheet Derbys LIV SW/Staffs XXXIV SW.. 1:10560.
- <5> SDR18927 Map: OS. 1924. OS County Series, sheet Derbys LVII NW/Staffs XLI NW.. 1:10560.
- <6> SDR11944 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1976. 1:10000.
- <7> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 5.4, May 1984, with photos.
- <8> SDR4297 Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 1991. The Derbyshire Country House. pp 81-82.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 26471 28020 (650m by 610m)|
|Civil Parish||EGGINTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 1 2017 2:30PM