Monument record MDR7923 - Milton Mill (site of), Mill Farm, Milton
Type and Period (3)
- None recorded
SK 322 264. Mill (shown on map). (1) SK 3224 2645. Flour mill named on map of 1879, with Mill Pond (named on map twice) at SK 3227 2643 and SK 3218 2557 on the course of a unnamed stream flowing north to the River Trent. (2) By 1924 the site of the mill is occupied by Mill Farm; the adjacent mill pond is shown but not named); the mill pond (named on map) at SK 3218 2557 is shown as marshy. (3) OS map of 1978 shows Mill Farm, with the adjacent pond infilled and built over, although the pond bay survives as an earthwork; the southern mill pond (not named) is depicted as partly marsh. (4) Milton Mill. The red brick mill building, standing on a minor tributary on the southern side of the River Trent, was possibly of early 19th century construction. It was demolished in about 1960. The small mill pond and dam, about 300 yards from the mill, which provided the water via a leat, are still intact. In 1835 Richard Sommers was miller followed in 1876 by J Sommers, probably Richard's son. (5)
- <1> SDR17379 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1836. One Inch First Edition map, sheet 71 first issued 1836, later revisions (David and Charles reprint sheet 35). 1inch : 1mile.
- <2> SDR12114 Map: 1887. OS County Series 1:10560 sheet LVII NE surveyed 1879, published 1887.
- <3> SDR17859 Map: OS. 1924. OS County Series 1:10560, sheet Derbys LVIII NW. Edition of 1924, revised 1920. 1:10560.
- <4> SDR18933 Map: OS. 1978. OS 1:10000 1978. 1:10000.
- <5> SDR19066 Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. B44, p 89.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 32246 26011 (177m by 969m)|
|Civil Parish||REPTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 10 2016 12:39PM