SK 310 262 Mill shown on map of 1836. (1) 'Repton Mill (flour)' named on the OS map of 1887, sited on head race (not named) leading from Mill Pond (named on map) at SK 3120 2550 (2) 'Repton Mill' named on the OS map of 1924, with the head race now named as 'Mill Race'; 'Mill Pond' (named on map) depicted as marsh; tail race named on map as 'Mill Stream'. (3)
Mill not depicted on the OS map of 1978; western side of head race (not named) shown embanked; mill pond not depicted, but with pond bay (not named) shown as earthwork. (4, 5)
The valley at Repton opens out and becomes much wider and flatter. As a result, Repton Mill did not have a pond but was fed by a leat which started just below a pond at Repton Bottoms, about half a mile upstream. This was built in 1606 by Sir John Harper. The Repton corn mill ceased working in about 1936; it became a ruin which was eventually demolished in 1968 and is now the site of a number of houses. The brick mill building had a lean-to at the rear in which there was a large overshot wheel. This was still in place in 1942. It drove two pairs of stones by a conventional underdriven mechanism. It is not clear if one of the two mills mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086 stood on the same site as the later mill. (6, 7)
Map: OS. 1836. OS 1 inch 1st edition, Sheet 71. David & Charles reprint, Sheet 35, Nottingham.. 1 inch.
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 31170 25741 (300m by 864m)
REPTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 2 2015 4:13PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.