(sk 2113 2978) Royal Castle Glass Works, named on late 19th century OS maps. (1-2) Works (named on 1973 map) (3)
The Royal Castle Glass Works was in operation in 1868. The works had ceased making glass by 1880 (4-5)
The glassworks at Hatton were built for a Mr Sivewright and used by him for the manufacture of tableware. Later, they were acquired by Mr T H Richardson. In 1897 a visit was paid to the glassworks by the Duke and Duchess of York (later George V and Queen Mary), and some time after this a faculty was granted whereby the title 'Royal Castle Glassworks' was used. The works was closed in c. 1900, due to a slump in the trade. Production recommenced in 1910, producing tableware, following purchase by Mr G H Corbett. In 1916-1917 Mr S N Jenkinson acquired the business as a going concern and was approached by the British Thomson-Houston Co. Ltd. of Rugby to supply bulbs for electric lamps. This resulted in a strike by the glass-blowers, who refused to produce bulbs, being craftsmen in tableware. Foreign labour was brought in, in the form of eight blowers and two tub-drawers from Choissy le Roi. Production of light bulbs for the BTH Co. became partially mechanised soon afterwards. The works came under new ownership in 1919 and were leased by the BTH Co. in 1921, who then vacated the premises in 1923. The history of the works between 1924 and 1939 is unknown, and they may have stood vacant until c. 1940, when they were used as a store by the War Department. In 1946 they were taken over by Glastics Ltd (Trent Valley Glassworks). The old furnace was repaired as an 8 pot unit and a new lehr was installed. The first glassware was produced in March 1947. (6)
Map: OS. 1887. OS County Series: 1:10560, sheet Derbys LIII SE/Staffs XXXIII SE. Surveyed 1879, published 1887.
Map: OS. 1901. OS County Series 1:10560, sheet Derbys LIII SE/Staffs XXXIII SE. Second edition 1901, revised 1900..
Article in serial: University of London. 1967. Victoria County History, Staffordshire. vol. 2, p. 247.
Index: RCHME Boutwood, Y.. 1993. National Forest Project.
Unpublished document: Part history as recollected by Frank Pegg. n.d.. The Hatton Glassworks. Unpublished typescript in Derbyshire Local Studies Library..
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 21143 29797 (point)
HATTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 30 2016 4:02PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.