Site record MDR7942 - Clay shaft & 2 pumping shafts (site of), Gresley Common, Church Gresley
Type and Period (1)
- MINE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A Clay Shaft (named on map) is depicted on the 1887 OS map at SK 3006 1870 and two Pumping Shafts (named on map) are shown at SK 3008 1889 and SK 3013 1880, all on Gresley Common (named on map) (1). The shaft at SK 3008 1889 is depicted as 'Old Shaft' on the 1902 OS map; other shafts are not shown. (2). Shafts are not depicted on later OS maps - the area is shown as Gresley Common (named on map) (3-4) Now a recreation area, but the uneven ground is still suggestive of earlier industrial activity (5).
- <1> SDR17386 Map: OS. 1887. OS County series 1:10560, sheet Derbys LX NE/Leics XV NE. Surveyed 1879-81, published 1887. 1:10560.
- <2> SDR17643 Map: OS. 1902. OS County Series: 1:10560 Sheet Derbys LX NE/Leics XV NE. Second edition 1902. 1:10560.
- <3> SDR18953 Map: OS. 1925. OS County Series 1:10560. Derbys LX NE/Leics XV NE Edition of 1925, revised 1920-1.
- <4> SDR12489 Map: OS. 1977. OS:10000 1977.
- <5> SDR18955 Index: Malone, S (RCHME). 1994. National Forest Project Index: UID 924111.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 30040 18879 (224m by 161m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||SWADLINCOTE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 29 2020 1:34PM