Monument record MDR7946 - Sanitary pipe works, associated tramways and clay pits (site of), Swadlincote
Type and Period (3)
- CLAY DRAINAGE PIPE WORKS (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD to 1900 AD)
- TRAMWAY (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD to 1900 AD)
- CLAY PIT (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
A sanitary pipe works is situated at this location on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. There is also a tramway linking the works to an associated clay pit. (1) The sanitary pipe works have expanded by the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900. The clay pits and associated tramways have also expanded significantly. They continue to expand through the early 20th century. The works are connected to the Swadlincote & Woodville extension, Midlands Railway by a mineral railway. (2-3) The area is depicted as open space on an OS map of 1977. (4) Much of this area is now known as Swadlincote Woodlands Forest Park . (5)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR20367 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1912-1921. OS County Series, 3rd edition (Second Revision), scale 1:2500 (25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR12489 Map: OS. 1977. OS:10000 1977.
- <5> SDR20894 *Internet Web Site: Google Maps. http://maps.google.com/. Website viewed 31/03/2014.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 30615 19594 (586m by 758m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||SWADLINCOTE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 21 2019 1:07PM