Monument record MDR795 - Sapperton: deserted Medieval village
Type and Period (2)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- DESERTED SETTLEMENT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
[SK]186 345. Possible lost village of Sapperton. [SK 188 344] Possible indications of D.M.V. (2) (1-2) Centred at SK 18803435, in pasture, are the barely discernable remains of building platforms overlooking rig and furrow, indicating a very small deserted village. Surveyed at 1/2500. See also St. Joseph A/P's. (3) The house platforms and adjacent enclosures, extend over only circa 2 hectares along Margery Lane. The cottage at SK 18813440 post-dates the desertion. (4) Sapperton mentioned in Domesday as Sapirtune. (5) Fields have been heavily ploughed. (8)
- <1> SDR377 Bibliographic reference:
- <2> SDR829 Aerial Photograph:
- <3> SDR6290 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 01-SEP-66.
- <3a> SDR841 Aerial Photograph:
- <4> SDR6625 Personal Observation: F2 JRL 16-AUG-76.
- <5> SDR5962 Bibliographic reference: Cameron, K. 1959. The Place-Names of Derbyshire, Part III. English Place-Name Society, Vol. XXIX.. p541.
- <6> SDR3195 Bibliographic reference:
- <7> SDR15116 Bibliographic reference:
- <8> SDR19177 Personal Observation: Myers, A. Site visit or other evidence. Site visit, 2002.
|Grid reference||SK 18739 34323 (point)|
|Civil Parish||CHURCH BROUGHTON, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 26 2011 10:10AM