Site record MDR7953 - Site of Brick Yard, Swadlincote Road, Swadlincote
Type and Period (1)
(Victorian to Early 20th Century - 1882 AD? to 1901 AD?)
Loading documents & images
Former site of a brick yard, south side Swadlincote Road, Swadlincote.
No features are marked on the Swadlincote Local Board District map of 1873 (1), but by the time of the 1st edition 25" OS map of 1882 the area is labelled 'Brick Yard', has pits, and a wagon way leading to a rectangular building and two circular structures thought to be kilns. (2) These buildings were the foundation and the beginning of the Bretby Art Pottery.
'Wright's 1874 Directory for Derbyshire lists a certain Charles Adcock in the list of residents in Woodville, who is recorded as manager at 'Woodville Co's Brick yard'. This company is not mentioned in later directories… it appears likely that this was the name of the company that was operating the brick yard at the time of the OS 1st edition. …By the time of the next available map, the 1901 OS 2nd edition, the [site] had been transformed by the construction of a large industrial building depicted as 'Bretby Art Pottery'.' (3)
Unpublished document: Cobbold, T (ARS Ltd). 2018. Archaeological Works at the Former Bretby Art Pottery, Woodville.
Map: 1873. Swadlincote Local Board District Map.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. 1st Edition 25" OS Map of 1882.
Unpublished document: Brown, A (ARS Ltd). 2016. An Archaeological Desk-based Assessment of the Site of the Bretby Art Pottery, Woodville, South Derbyshire.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.