Monument record MDR7960 - Coal mine (site of), east of Derby Road, Swadlincote
Type and Period (2)
- COLLIERY (Tudor to Victorian - 1540 AD to 1882 AD)
- ENGINE HOUSE (Tudor to Victorian - 1540 AD to 1882 AD)
- None recorded
Old coal pits and an engine house are depicted at this location on the 1st edition 25" OS map of c. 1880. (1) The old coal shafts are labelled on the 2nd edition 25" OS map of c. 1900, and the engine house still appears to be extant (although it is not labelled); however, the whole area is increasingly being encroached upon by the adjacent Sanitary Pipe Works [SMR 26876] and its associated tramways. (2) The disused shafts are still labelled on the 1:10 000 OS map of 1977. (3) No sign of shafts or engine house. The area has been much altered by landscaping and the building of a new road. (4)
- <1> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <2> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <3> SDR12489 Map: OS. 1977. OS:10000 1977.
- <4> SDR18955 Index: Malone, S (RCHME). 1994. National Forest Project Index: UID 924111.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 30452 19519 (126m by 105m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||SWADLINCOTE, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 18 2016 5:02PM