Monument record MDR7994 - Bretby Colliery No. 1 (site of), Ashby Road East, Bretby
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
(SK 2853 2210) Bretby Colliery No. 1 (named on the OS map of 1884), adjacent to and with sidings from the Bretby Colliery Branch Railway (SMR 26896). (1) The colliery is not depicted on the map of 1924, by which time the site is occupied by Saw Mills (named on map), still with sidings to the Bretby Colliery Branch. (2) Saw mill buildings shown but not named on the OS map of 1982. (3) The site is still in use [in 1994] as saw mill/timber yard. (4) A residual building of the former Bretby Colliery No. 1 still survives on the site. It is a two-storey brick building with ornate courses inset and with a slate roof. Now in light industrial use. (5)
- <1> SDR17621 Map: OS. 1884. Sheet Derbys LVII SW/Staffs XLI SW. 1:10560.
- <2> SDR17623 Map: OS. 1924. Sheet Derbys LVII SW/Staffs XLI SW. 1924. 1:10560.
- <3> SDR11930 Map: OS. 1982. OS 1:10 000 1982. 1:10 000.
- <4> SDR18955 Index: Malone, S (RCHME). 1994. National Forest Project Index: UID 924111.
- <5> SDR19596 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 2002. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part VI: South Derbyshire. p 2.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 28540 22109 (136m by 167m)|
|Civil Parish||BRETBY, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jul 25 2017 4:23PM