Monument record MDR8008 - Smisby Windmill (site of), Annwell Lane, Smisby
Type and Period (2)
- FLOUR MILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- WINDMILL (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
(SK 343 182) Smisby Mill (named on map) applied to windmill symbol in 1835 and named on late 19th century OS maps also. (1-3) Windmill not depicted on the 1925 map - area shown as small enclosed field (4-5) Smisby Windmill stood at Ann's Well Place, previously known as 'Annies Hole'. The site is on high ground, with the land falling away on all sides. A modern bungalow now stands on the site, named 'Mill Farm'. It is not clear when this mill was built. The first known record of the post mill is by Farey in 1808, who calls it 'Smithby', but it appears on most maps subsequent to that date until on the 1895 OS map it is shown as an 'Old Windmill'. Only one rather poor photograph is known of the mill. It shows it almost in silhouette against a small building in the background. This makes it difficult to see if there had been a round house. It had a small buck with a rounded roof and was still complete with tailpole and steps. Two common sails and two spring sails were in place. A report to the site in 1945 reports that the windmill was blown down in 1919-1920 and that it stood on red brick piers. There was a peak stone, level with the ground between the piers. In 1989 there was no sign of the piers although the millstone was still in the ground. (6)
- <1> SDR17581 Map: OS. 1835. OS 1 inch 1st Edition, Sheet 63. David and Charles Reprint, Sheet 43. 1inch.
- <2> SDR18960 Map: OS. 1888. OS County Series 1:10560, sheet Leics XV SE/Derbys & Derbys (Det No. 1) LX SE. Surveyed 1881, published 1888.. 1:10560.
- <3> SDR18961 Map: OS. 1904. OS County Series 1:10560, sheet Derbys LX SE/Leics XV SE. Second edition 1904, revised 1900-1..
- <4> SDR18962 Map: OS. 1925. OS County Series 1:10560, sheet Derbys LX SE/Leics XV SE. Edition of 1925, revised 1921..
- <5> SDR12489 Map: OS. 1977. OS:10000 1977.
- <6> SDR19226 Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 2003. Derbyshire Windmills Past and Present. p 82.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 34360 18298 (65m by 66m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||SMISBY, SOUTH DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 2 2014 4:01PM