Monument record MDR806 - Clifton cross-base (former location), A515, Clifton, Clifton and Crompton

Type and Period (1)

  • (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

The cross-base at Clifton Cross formerly stood at the south west corner of the former cross-road of Green Lane and the Ashbourne to Clifton road. It was removed into the garden of one of the cottages nearby in the middle of the 19th century. (1) The cross base was situated SK 1682 4511 in 1966. (2) Works on the Clifton by-pass led to demolition, under compulsory purchase order, of the cottages; the owners took the cross base with them to their new home in Thorpe. (5)

Sources/Archives (5)

  • <1> Article in serial: Sadler, E. 1939. 'Remains of a wayside cross at Clifton Cross', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal.
  • <2> Personal Observation: F1 JB 26-JUL-66.
  • <3> Index: OS. SK 14 NE 06. SK 14 NE 06.
  • <4> Index: NDAT. 0739. 0739.
  • <5> Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. Mrs M Winstone, 4.5.1970.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 1684 4516 (50m by 100m) (Centred on)
Civil Parish CLIFTON AND COMPTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR1410

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Aug 18 2015 12:06PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.