Monument record MDR808 - Hanging Bridge, River Dove, Mayfield and Clifton and Compton
Type and Period (1)
- ROAD BRIDGE (Medieval to Mid 20th Century - 1200 AD to 1937 AD)
SK 1581 4581. Hanging Bridge [T.I.]. (1) Hanging Bridge - Medieval. 'All five arches are pointed…and have chamfered arch rings. Their overall width was originally only 10 ft, but the entire bridge has been widened on the downstream side to give a roadway of 18 ft. The Records of the Derbyshire Sessions mention the payment in 1862 of £50 for the repair of the 'p'te of Hanging Bridge'. In 1766 a proposal was made at the Derbyshire Sessions to widen the bridge, and in the same year Staffordshire authorised expenditure on this bridge of a sum not to exceed £90 5s.' (2) SK 1582 4579. The medieval Hanging Bridge has been incorporated in a much wider modern bridge which has been constructed so that almost all the old structure can still be seen. The old bridge consisted of five arches (as described by authority 2), two over the present course of the River Dove and three, 30m to the south-east, over a former branch of the river. (3) Mayfield Bridge, circa 14th century in origin but widened more than once. The original ashlar core of five spans remains. Grade II. (4, 5) SK 158 458. Hanging Bridge, Scheduled. (6) Mayfield Bridge, 1.25 miles west-south-west of Ashbourne. It has five pointed arches with chamfered ribs and carries the road across the Dove. (7)
- <1> SDR11762 Map: 1924. O.S. 6".
- <2> SDR179 Bibliographic reference: Jervoise, E. 1932. The Ancient Bridges of Mid and Eastern England. p. 19.
- <3> SDR6453 Personal Observation: F1 VJB 04-DEC-57.
- <4> SDR5527 Bibliographic reference: DOE(HHR) Uttoxeter RD Staffs Sept 1961 17.
- <5> SDR7383 Article in serial: Ibid Ashbourne RD Derby Aug 1961 14.
- <6> SDR5582 Bibliographic reference: DOE(IAM) Anc Mons Eng 3 1978 28.
- <7> SDR10412 Index: NDAT. 3793. 3793.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1583 4580 (107m by 95m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||CLIFTON AND COMPTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||MAYFIELD, EAST STAFFORDSHIRE, STAFFORDSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 21 2016 11:41AM