Three tumuli, of sandy earth and pebbles, placed in a line about eighty yards from each other, in a field called Callow, at Mapleton were opened in August and September, 1849. The one nearest to Ashbourne is fourteen yards diameter and two feet six inches high and near the centre a piece of an urn some burnt bones and flakes of flint were found; the mound two feet high at the opposite extremity produced only flints and charcoal; the centre mound, twenty yards across and three and-a-half feet high has a large tree in the middle; calcined bones, pieces of an urn and flint chippings were found. (1) Not located. (2) Mapleton. Three unlocated barrows listed in survey. (Not shown on OS 6" 1884) (3)
Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1861. Ten Years' Diggings in Celtic and Saxon Grave Hills. p155-6.
Personal Observation: F1 JB 26-JUL-66.
Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p70.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 16 47 (1000m by 1000m) (Approximate)
MAPLETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 20 2014 2:42PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.