In order to power Never Fear Wheel, water was taken off the River Moss to feed a pond on the north side of the stream. The pond had a single building at its south-eastern end and was present by 1778. In c. 1796 it was owned by Thomas Manlove and tenanted by Robert Turner and Richard Salt, with 6 troughs. The pond still exists, fed by the head goit, while nearby earthworks probably indicate the site of the building. (1) Apart from the weir, the site now lies wholly in South Yorkshire, although previously in Derbyshire.
Unpublished document: Stroud, G. 1996. The Value of the Fairbank Collection as a Resource for the Study of Landscape Change (in) Eckington. p 72; plates 5-7.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 40943 80344 (296m by 166m)
ECKINGTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 28 2011 9:46AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.