Early plans of the site exist for 1772, 1796 and 1855. There was no mill pond at the earliest date, the wheel being powered via a goit running parallel to the main stream on its south side. The dam was built to incorporate the main flow of water (the River Moss), with what was originally the head goit still continuing along the southern edge of the pond. In 1773, the mill was tenanted by Martin Worstenholm and described as 'Carlton Wheel with the CinderHill', the latter name indicating activity other than simply sickle grinding. By c. 1797 the tenant was William Spalton, at which time there were 9 troughs. He had been succeeded by John Spalton in 1819, when the site was called Lower Carlton Sickle Wheel. By 1855 the pond was beginning to silt up, a process which is complete today (1)
Unpublished document: Stroud, G. 1996. The Value of the Fairbank Collection as a Resource for the Study of Landscape Change (in) Eckington. pp 73-75, illust..
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 41841 80153 (375m by 227m) (Approximate)
ECKINGTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 14 2011 11:58AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.