Skip to main content

Monument record MDR8125 - Park Mill (site of), Eckington

Type and Period (3)

  • (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
  • (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)

Protected Status/Designation

  • None recorded

Full Description

This is believed to be the site of the mill mentioned in Domesday Book and is definitely that referred to in the Parliamentary Survey of Eckington dated 1650 as follows: '..that Watergrist Mill commonly known by the name of the Park Mill situate near the Parish Church of Eckington..'. The layout of the mill and its pond appeared to change little between 1772 and 1796. A document of 1821 notes that both water wheels were in very bad repair, indicating that there were two wheels at that date. (1) Park Mill, Eckington, was situated to the north-west of the parish church and was probably the site of the water mill recorded in Domesday Book where a mill worth '3s 0d' is recorded. The 1480 survey of the Manor of Eckington shows John Machan to be holding 'three water mylnes for corn', two of which were on the Rother 'and the third standeth in the Park of Eckington and is called Park Mylne'. In 1581 it was ordered that 'The mylner bring in his mettes and messures at every great courte and that he do not grynde strange men's corne before his neighbours'. An advertisement for sale in 1828 reads 'A new stone built corn mill, called Park Mill, with ground floor and two floors over, stable adjoining for three horses, stone built and tiled'. The mill building must have been replaced or significantly renovated from time to time; certainly this would have been needed after fires in 1826 and 1904. A photograph shows flame-damaged timbers, a millstone and what could be the great spur wheel and other machinery, all lying on the ground. The building was also severely damaged when the mill dam burst on September 24 1931. A photograph taken at the time shows the end wall and part of the roof completely collapsed. The mill was rebuilt and continued to grind corn until well into the 1940s but was demolished in the late 1950s or early 1960s. The last mill was built of stone and was a simple two-storey building, with a tiled roof. A painting of the waterwheel was made in 1953, shortly before it was demolished. It appears to have been backshot, with iron hubs, shrouds and arms, but possibly with wooden paddles. However a mid-19th century report indicates that the wheel was overshot, 12ft diameter and 2ft wide. The wheel shaft also appears to have been wooden. In 1969 it was reported that on the site of the mill there was 'a massive wooden wheel axle lying on the site, 22ins across the flats and with eight sides'. This seems huge for a corn mill and perhaps came from elsewhere. No details have been found about the machinery inside the mill although a photograph taken during demolition shows an iron pit wheel and at least two pairs of stones. (2)

Sources/Archives (2)

  • <1> Unpublished document: Stroud, G. 1996. The Value of the Fairbank Collection as a Resource for the Study of Landscape Change (in) Eckington. p 75.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Gifford, A. 1999. Derbyshire Watermills: Corn Mills.. C16, pp 118-121, illust..



Grid reference Centred SK 42881 79902 (101m by 72m) (Approximate)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Nov 20 2017 4:04PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.