Analysis of aerial photographs and field inspection revealed a substantial, steep sided hollow up to 2m deep and c. 200m wide. It is likely that the hollow is the remains of a former gravel quarry. The hollow clearly cuts through ridge and furrow, suggesting that the pit is of post-medieval date. The schedule accompanying the 1843 Sudbury tithe map provides the first indication of a quarry, describing a 'gravel pit' immediately south of Oak's Green Lane. The origin of the quarry is in the period between 1720 and 1846. Expansion of the quarry north of Oak's Green Lane appears to be an early 20th century development. (1-2)
Unpublished document: Challis, K, Morris, T & Woodhouse, G. 1994. A564(T) Doveridge Bypass Archaeological Assessment.
Unpublished document: Challis, K & Howard, A (NUCL). 1995. A564 (T) Doveridge Bypass. Archaeological Evaluation..
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 15518 33208 (point) (Approximate)
SUDBURY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 14 2020 8:49PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.