Harbourlands Colliery was in use by the early 18th century. A document of 1741 refers to a lease from F Sitwell to Thomas Porter of Eckington, innkeeper, and William Rotherham of Mosborough, yeoman, of four closes in the south of the parish upon which there was a coal mine, a small counting house and a brick kiln. The lease was held on condition that 'two pitts only and no more are employed in getting and drawing of the said Coals at one time'. Clay could also be dug for use in the brick kiln. The names of the closes enable its approximate location to be identified from historic maps as the Harbourlands area, just to the north of Foxtone Wood. Harbourlands Colliery is referred to again at the time of Parliamentary Enclosure in 1796, while maps of that date show a building on the site. The mine ceased working in the 1820s and by 1855 the land had been planted with trees. At that time the building was in use as a 'dwelling house'. Old mine shafts are still clearly visible within the woodland. (1)
Unpublished document: Stroud, G. 1996. The Value of the Fairbank Collection as a Resource for the Study of Landscape Change (in) Eckington. p 62, 94, plate 11.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 42475 77852 (point)
ECKINGTON, NORTH EAST DERBYSHIRE, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 20 2017 4:04PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.