Monument record MDR8167 - Ford (site of), River Derwent, Duffield Meadows
Type and Period (1)
- FORD (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- World Heritage Site
Site of a ford across the River Derwent on Duffield Meadows at a point where the parish boundary meets the river. The ford is shown on the enclosure map of 1791 and its site is clearly visible on the ground. It was destroyed by Strutt to force the use of his turnpike road. (1) Ford marked on 1787 map, along the now destroyed or built upon road. (2)
- <1> SDR19103 Unpublished document: Greenhough, P. 2001. Letter re possible ford sites on the Derwent east of Duffield, received via County Archaeologist 09/05/2001.
- <2> SDR23083 Cartographic materials: Woore, J. 1922. Duffield as it was in the Year 1787: Drawn from the Ancient Parish Map showing the Old Roads and Fords. Paper.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 3479 4369 (170m by 62m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||DUFFIELD, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
|World Heritage Site||Derwent Valley Mills|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM