Monument record MDR8180 - Lime kiln, Parkhead, South Wingfield
Type and Period (1)
- LIME KILN (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Old lime kiln. The central shaft has been filled in from the top and there is an arch at the front. (1) A slide photograph indicates work being carried out at the kiln in January 1973 (2) Remains of a lime kiln located in the fork of the Crich to South Wingfield road and the Crich to Wingfield Park Pentrich road at Park Head. The millstone grit base and drawing hold face the Wingfield Park road. The top of the kiln has been demolished and filled in. Suggested date is 18th century. No details of the kiln are known at present. (3) The site is shown on the 1st ed OS map of 1880 as 'Old Shaft (Lead)' (4)
- <1> SDR18918 Unpublished document: County Treasure Recording Form. 10(h).1.
- <2> SDR19335 Photograph: Various sources. SMR Slide Collection.
- <3> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. No. 263, 19.3.1973.
- <4> SDR19112 Map: 1880. OS 25", 1st edition, sheet XXXV.13.
- <5> SDR19111 Index: Council for British Archaeology (CBA). CBA Industrial Archaeology Report Card. Limekiln, Crich.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 36181 54586 (11m by 17m)|
|Civil Parish||SOUTH WINGFIELD, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 1 2015 2:35PM