'Bayley Brook Pit' is marked on Sanderson's map of 1835, with a second pit lying a little distance to the north and a third lying to the east. (1) By the 1880s the pits on Sanderson's map are marked as 'Old Coal Shafts', with the core of Bailey Brook colliery lying further west. A saw mill had been constructed between two of the old shafts, served by a short railway siding. (2) The saw mill had gone by 1900. (3)
A horse-drawn tramroad (SMR 16009) initially linked the pits with the Erewash Canal. In 1847 further pits were sunk to work the Deep Soft and Deep Hard seams. In around 1918 the Butterley Company deepened Bailey Brook shafts to the Kilburn Seam, enabling the Piper and Low Main seams to be worked also. However, the Company closed Bailey Brook Colliery in 1938. (4)
Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
Map: 1888. OS 1st edition, 6", sheet XLV NE.
Map: 1900. OS 2nd edition, sheet XLV.4. 25".
Bibliographic reference: Heanor & District Local History Society. 1993. A History of Mining in the Heanor Area.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 43523 47447 (point)
ALDERCAR AND LANGLEY MILL, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 16 2017 10:40AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.