Building record MDR823 - Summerhouse in the grounds of The Mansion, Ashbourne

Type and Period (1)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

Summer House built in grounds of Mansion House, in the mid 18th century, in a Roman Doric style from freestone fa├žade with a brick body. It is a miniature temple of 3 open arched bays divided by pilasters with moulded caps supporting a dentilled pediment. Frequently used by Dr Johnson (vide Boswell). Nos 38, 40 and 72, together with Pegg's Almshouses, Owlfield's Almshouses, The Mansion, the Summerhouse and the cobbled pavements form a group with the parish Church of St Oswald and the churchyard gate piers, gates and walls. (1)

Sources/Archives (1)

  • <1> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. List entry number 1109549.

Map

Location

Grid reference Centred SK 1776 4649 (6m by 6m) (Centre)
Civil Parish ASHBOURNE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (1)

  • EDR2846

Please contact the HER for details.

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Aug 16 2016 2:02PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.