Monument record MDR8246 - Youth Hostel, Main Street, Elton
Type and Period (2)
- HOUSE (Former Type) (Stuart to Victorian - 1668 AD to 1900 AD)
- YOUTH HOSTEL (Early 20th Century to 21st Century - 1901 AD to 2050 AD)
House (now a youth hostel) with a large semi-circular pediment above the door, dated 1668. A date-stone of 1715 also exists on the south side. (1,2) The Youth Hostel is a Grade II house, dated 1668 and 1715. It is constructed of coursed rubble gritstone with quoins, plain gables end ridge stacks and single side wall stack, welsh slates and modern concrete tiles. Above the single light stair window is a semi-circular headed tablet inscribed 'B M 1715'. The former doorway to the earlier range has a lintel dated 1668. (3) Vernacular building dated to 1715. (4)
- <1> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 3755.
- <2> SDR12891 Bibliographic reference: Pevsner, N. 1979. The Buildings of England: Derbyshire. 2nd ed., revised. p209.
- <3> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
- <4> SDR23380 Index: Evans, R. 1976. Some dated vernacular buildings in Derbyshire.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 22 60 (14m by 15m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ELTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
May 11 2015 1:34PM