Find Spot record MDR8250 - Fibulae, Hardbeat Mine, Elton
Type and Period (1)
- FINDSPOT (Roman - 43 AD to 409 AD)
- None recorded
A bronze Roman brooch, possibly from the 2nd century, found at Hardbent/Hardbeat Mine (corruption of Hardbeet?). Thought to be part of the Lucas Collection at the British Museum, but P. Wainwright (DCC) reported recent enquires had been unsuccessful. Six other bronze fibula, also supposedly in the Lucas Collection, were reportedly found in this area between 1863 and 1866. (1-2). Jewitt noted that a bronze fibula of second century type was the same, or very similar to, one found in 1861 in an old mine on Elton Moor which is now in Hull Museum. (3). Hardbeat Mine is now a lead mine of high prority status. (5).
- <1> SDR19139 Verbal communication: Wainwright, P. 1986. Pers. Comm..
- <2> SDR15994 Bibliographic reference: Haverfield, F. 1905. 'Romano-British Derbyshire', in Victoria County History, Derbyshire, Vol 1. p257.
- <3> SDR19140 Bibliographic reference: Jewitt, H. 1867. The Intellectual Observer. Vol. 12.
- <4> SDR10000 Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 0869.
- <5> SDR19821 Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2004. An Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District. Vol. 2: Corpus of Sites. p118.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 212 605 (100m by 100m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ELTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 14 2007 10:26AM