Medieval chapel erected prior to 1259 AD, when Sir Richard de Harthill founded a chantry within his chapel of Harthill. The site is now occupied by a barn in which portions of a niche and other fragments can be seen. (1,2). It is unknown which outbuilding represents Harthill Hall's barn, but as the building plotted on the map is recorded on the 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map, is was surmised that this building is the barn. (3).
Index: North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust (NDAT). North Derbyshire Archaeological Trust Index. 1051.
Bibliographic reference: Bulmer, T and Co.. 1895. History, Topography and Directory of Derbyshire. p507.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 228 646 (37m by 19m) (Approximate)
HARTHILL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 2 2008 3:20PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.