Monument record MDR8279 - Milestone, Harthill
Type and Period (1)
- MILESTONE (Georgian to Victorian - 1750 AD to 1900 AD)
Milestone on the A524, (1811 Ashbourne - Hadden turnpike). The milestone is c. one metre high (three feet) with an inscription, black painted on white, one side reads "To Ashbourn 12 miles", the other side "To Bakewell 5 miles". (1,2). Milestone 150 metres south-west of Brimsbury Well. It is grade II listed and dates from the late 18th century. It is a painted stone slab, approximately two feet high with splayed sides and saddleback top, inscribed to north 'To / ASHBOURNE / 12 / MILES', and to south 'To / BAKEWELL / 5 / MILES'. (3). One of a series of stone mileposts on the fromer Ashbourne-Bakewell turnpike. (5)
- <1> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. D71.
- <2> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 3:26,27.
- <3> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
- <4> SDR19355 Index: Higgins, J (The Milestone Society). County Milestone Survey. DY/HAH/01.
- <5> SDR18788 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales.
|Grid reference||SK 2291 6197 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||HARTHILL, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 12 2015 12:16PM