Monument record MDR828 - Mapleton Shrunken Medieval Village, Mapleton
Type and Period (3)
- SHRUNKEN VILLAGE (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
- RIDGE AND FURROW (Medieval to Post Medieval - 1066 AD to 1900 AD)
- HOLLOW WAY (Medieval - 1066 AD to 1539 AD)
A shrunken Medieval village site of poor visual quality has been recorded in Mapleton parish. Three crofts have been recognised. (Not visible on OS 25' 1881). (1) Evidence of extensive platforms in the field opposite the pub, including the town ring and associated ridge and furrow, particularly north and south of the road on the west side of Okeover bridge - in Staffordshire. Mentioned in the Domesday Book, 1086. (2) Extensive ridge and furrow on the hillslope behind the village church. (3) SCHEDULING DESCRIPTION The monument includes the earthwork and buried remains of the abandoned areas of Mapleton medieval settlement and part of the open field system. The monument lies within two areas of protection. The area to the west is situated on relatively flat ground between the River Dove and Mapleton Road. The eastern area is situated on the steep west facing slope of the Dove Valley (SMR9505). Mapleton is first mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 where it is recorded that it was one of six berewicks belonging to the manor of Ashbourne. A berewick was a settlement which was physically separate from the village where the lord lived but was still governed as part of the manorial estate. Mapleton at this time was owned by the king and contained enough land for two plough teams of eight oxen each. The village is now, and has been for some time, part of the Okeover estate. in 1727 Rowland Okeover gave lands to trustees for the purpose of building three houses at Mapleton for clergymens' widows with an annual payment of money and coals for each widow. These buildings survive today and are situated to the north of the western half of the monument. In the field to the south east of Okeover Bridge are the remains of a large sub-rectanqular platform. The platform lies on the east side of the field adjacent to Mapleton Road and is defined by low banks and ditches which survive to a height and depth of approximately 0.5m. The platform is most clearly visible from aerial photographs but the southern end of the platform has now been degraded by a modern housing development and is therefore not included in the scheduling. on an enclosure map of 1848 the field is described as 'Hall Croft and outbuildings'. From this evidence, and the nature of the earthworks, the platform is interpreted as the site of the medieval hall with the low banks created by the buried remains of walls. To the north of the platform and running in a westerly direction towards the river is a sunken track. At its western end the track turns to the north for a short distance and slopes gently down to the river just south of Okeover Bridge. It is possible that the track led to a crossing point in the river which would have been the predecessor to Okeover Bridge. A modern footpath partly follows the alignment of the sunken track. On the western side of the field and adjacent to the river are the well preserved remains of part of the medieval open field system. These are evident as ridge and furrow cultivation strips which are aligned east to west and form a single furlong (group of cultivation strips) marked by a headland. The furlong is bounded on its southern side by an ancient hedgerow. To the south of the hedgerow are the remains of a further two furlongs. The ridge and furrow is curved in the shape of an elongated reverse IS', a shape which developed over the years from the need to swing the plough team out at the end of a strip to enable it to turn and to continue ploughing in the opposite direction. The remains survive to a height of 0.5m. To the east of this headland, and adjacent to Mapleton Road, are the remains of three crofts or enclosures. These are defined by low banks which are created by the buried remains of walls. The size of the crofts varies in each case but are between 30m and 40m wide. Crofts are small closes adjoining to a house, used either as pasture or for arable. The position of the houses is not clearly discernible on the ground but they were probably situated adjacent to Mapleton Road in a similar layout to the existing village. The second area of protection lies on the east side of Mapleton Road. This part of the monument includes a network of sunken tracks which link the main village road to the open fields on the sides of the valley. A sunken track joins with Mapleton Road approximately 150m north of Callowend Farm and runs in an easterly direction. The western end of this track provides access to modern properties and has therefore been levelled and surfaced and is not included in the scheduling but the remainder of the track survives as an earthwork approximately lm in depth and is included. The track continues in an easterly direction for about 250m before it meets with a track running north to south. The east to west track continues for a further 90m before it is truncated by a ploughed field. The track which runs north to south curves to the east and separates an area of scrubland lying to its east and outside the area of protection from the ridge and furrow to its west. Another sunken track, again aligned north to south, runs along the western edge of the ridge and furrow and is most clearly visible running parallel to the eastern boundary of the churchyard towards Bank Farm. The area of ridge and furrow is bounded on its northern and southern edges by wide, grass covered banks. These may have functioned as property boundaries or as dividers separating areas of pasture from arable fields so as to prevent damage to crops by animals. It is possible that the trackways not only provided people with access to the open arable fields but also acted as droveways to drive animals up hill into areas of pasture. Field names such as Skinners Flat and Milking Bank which appear on the 1848 enclosure map indicate that these fields have been used for pasture but the field names may not date to the medieval period when the ridge and furrow and open field system was in operation. All walls, fences, gates and feeding troughs are excluded from the scheduling, although the ground beneath these is included. (4) Medieval/post-medieval ridge and furrow earthworks are visible on aerial photographs dating to 2010 around Mapleton village. The earthworks cover a larger area than what is scheduled. (5)
- <1> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500. p. 128.
- <2> SDR10118 Index: NDAT. 2747. 2747.
- <3> SDR10119 Index: NDAT. 2748. 2748.
- <4> SDR18367 Scheduling record: English Heritage. 1999. Scheduling Notification. 29940. Cat. No.: 443.
- <5> SDR22155 Digital data: English Heritage. 2014. Staffordshire NMP Project: Derbyshire Overlap.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 1660 4786 (598m by 700m) (Centred on)|
|Civil Parish||MAPLETON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2014 5:21PM