Monument record MDR8354 - Paved path, north of Winster
Type and Period (1)
- PATH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Historic paved path showing extensively through the grass. (1,2). There is a network of pathways in this area paved with gritstone slabs, although the slabs may not be present along some stretches. The paths were either frequently used access routes to lead mines or were important through routes and were paved because they passed across wet ground. The geology here is shale and the valley and slope are very wet at times. (3). The paths are recorded on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map and therefore predate c.1880. (4).
- --- SDR19780 Unpublished document: Gilbert, D (TPAU). 2004. An archaeological watching brief at Winster Recreation Ground, Winster, Derbyshire.
- <1> SDR19126 Unpublished document: Ingham, D (PDNPA). 2001. Paved Path Survey.
- <2> SDR18975 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Colour photograph collection. Film. 2001:341.30-36/342.2-23.
- <3> SDR19205 Unpublished document: Taylor, H (PDNPA). 2000. Green Farm, Birchover, Winster and South Darley, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 2000.
- <4> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
|Grid reference||SK 24089 60966 (point)|
|Civil Parish||WINSTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 6 2015 10:36AM