Monument record MDR8366 - Mine shaft, Stoop Plantation, Winster
Type and Period (1)
- MINE SHAFT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
18th to 19th century capped shaft. The capping has been done as a beehive with cut gritstone blocks, but some collapse has occurred. (1). Photographic record. (2,3). A capped shaft, originally with a beehive cap, including dressed gritstone blocks. There is some collapse of capping. The shaft is set in a steeply quarried hollow c. ten metres deep and is situated on the Yatestoop Pipe which runs from painters Way Farm northwards towards Birchover. (4). A series of large hillocks with engine shaftrs to Yatestoop pipe, two of which are still open. Surface interest includes two possible gin circles, the ruins of a small building which may be a mine coe or an agricultural building. There were five or six Newcomen pumping engines at the surface, including the earliest in the orefield, no surface traces of their engine houses have been recognised but in most cases the sites look relatively undisturbed. Documented extensive underground pipe workings may well be of great interest but large parts are not accessible. (5).
- <1> SDR19151 Verbal communication: Wainwright, P. Mines, Quarries and Tips Officer, DCC.
- <2> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 439.6A-10A.
- <3> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 15421.1-5.
- <4> SDR19205 Unpublished document: Taylor, H (PDNPA). 2000. Green Farm, Birchover, Winster and South Darley, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 2000. p11, illus.
- <5> SDR19821 Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2004. An Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District. Vol. 2: Corpus of Sites. pp 121-122.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2436 6155 (186m by 475m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||WINSTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
|Civil Parish||BIRCHOVER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Mar 6 2015 10:37AM