Monument record MDR8368 - Troughs and lead mine waste heaps, north of Horsecroft Farm, Winster
Type and Period (2)
- TROUGH (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- SPOIL HEAP (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Two stone troughs, measuring ¾ metres by 1½ metres which are completely circular inside with rough hewn, almost hexagonal, exteriors. They are unusual because of the size and the precision of the internal finish. They might have had something to do with the lead mining industry. In 1977, one was used for a water supply via a pipe over the lip and the other was used as a mineral lick for animals. Both were in excellent condition in 1977, the troughs are situated alongside a public footpath near a range of buildings. (1). Photographic record. (2). Lead mine waste heaps, north of troughs at SK 2401 6075. (3). Photographic record. (4,5) As with neighbouring Elton, the village is surrounded by former lead-mining sites but with little significant impact in terms of structures despite the former existences of well known mines in the local vicinity. Capped shafts are typical of many sites. The area around Oddo to the west of the parish church is dotted with old workings and there are many to both the east and west of Uppertown Lane between Winster and Birchover. (6)
- <1> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. E86.
- <2> SDR18975 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Colour photograph collection. Film. 683:9.9-10.
- <3> SDR12683 Personal Observation: Smith, K (PPJPB). K Smith (Peak Park Joint Planning Board) personal communication. Sept 1995.
- <4> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 15427.1-6.
- <5> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 423.17a-27a.
- <6> SDR18788 Bibliographic reference: Fowkes, D (ed.). 1997. Derbyshire Industrial Archaeology. A Gazetteer of Sites. Part IV. Derbyshire Dales.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2405 6077 (178m by 255m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||WINSTER, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 10:28AM