Monument record MDR8392 - Pienets Nest lead mine, west-north-west of Hollow Farm, Youlgreave
Type and Period (2)
- LEAD MINE (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- MINE SHAFT (Post Medieval - 1540 AD to 1900 AD)
- None recorded
Part of the Alport lead mining complex, located on part of Hillcarr Sough (1766 - 1787). In existence in 1845 when the Alport Mining Company installed a hydraulic engine with twin 24 inch cylinders and a 10 foot stroke, as part of the continuing struggle with water below the sough level. From the Pienet Nest shafts, the Mawstone Level extension of Hillcarr Sough was run until the 1932 explosion and closure of the shaft, which was capped in concrete in 1967. Permission was granted to work the spoil heaps for fluorspar in 1988. (1-3). Pienet Nest Shaft was named on two undated 19th century maps. Pienet Nest Vein is shown on maps from 1718. This vein would have been worked to the top of the water table by the mid 17th century (5). After the vein was worked to the level of Hillcarr Sough, water had to be pumped out of the mine and an engine was installed at depth in Pienet Nest Shaft in 1845. Major mining operations ceased in the Alport region in the mid 19th century when water could not be adequately removed by pumping operations. (4). Photographic record. (6) Black Shale Pitts and Pienet Nest Veins have been included in the list of High Priority Lead Mining Sites, mainly for their ecological interest. (7)
- <1> SDR12683 Personal Observation: Smith, K (PPJPB). K Smith (Peak Park Joint Planning Board) personal communication. 10.1.1988.
- <2> SDR4754 Bibliographic reference: Ford, T & Rieuwerts, J. 1983. Lead Mining in the Peak District, 3rd edition. pp 98-99, 105-106.
- <3> SDR19155 Unpublished document: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Unknown Document or Unlocated Document. P3805.
- <4> SDR20221 Unpublished document: Ullathorne, A (PDNPA). 2002. Hollow Farm, Harthill and Youlgreave, Derbyshire, archaeological survey, 2002. No.18, pp 9-10.
- <5> SDR20242 Unpublished document: Willies, L. 1979. 'Technical Development in Derbyshire Lead Mining 1700-1880', Bulletin of the Peak District Mines Historical Society. 7:3, pp 117-152.
- <6> SDR19107 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). 1998-2001. Peak District National Park Authority Farm Surveys. 2002:605.15-16.
- <7> SDR21540 Bibliographic reference: Barnatt, J. 2005. Updated Inventory of Regionally & Nationally Important Lead Mining Sites in the Peak District.. p 10, site no. N175.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 21550 63808 (110m by 97m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||YOULGREAVE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Apr 4 2014 10:45AM