Monument record MDR84 - Brier Low barrow (site of), Hartington Upper Quarter
Type and Period (4)
- CONTRACTED INHUMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- PAVEMENT (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- ROUND BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- CREMATION (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
A cairn called Brier Lowe twenty yards in diameter and six feet high was opened on the 12th May 1845. In the middle of the barrow was an Early Bronze Age contracted burial and urn. (1,2). Late 19th century Ordnance Survey maps mark the site as 'Tumulus )Human Remains, Dagger etc found). (3, 4). The barrow was completely destroyed by quarrying. Published survey(25") revised. (5). SK 08866870. Brier Low. The tumulus contained a ?primary crouched interment laid on flat stones with a round-heeled bronze dagger and three rivets. According to Marsden, it was probably contemporary with a disturbed cremation on the old ground surface. (6). Destroyed barrow excavated by Bateman in 1845. During the excavated small sherds of an 'urn' were found near the centre of the barrow alongside a disturbed human cremation. A pavement of flat limestones was revealed at the centre of the old ground surface with a contracted inhumation, its head to the south and a bronze dagger with three rivets found next to the left upper arm. (8).
- <1> SDR2903 Bibliographic reference: Bateman, T. 1848. Vestiges of the Antiquities of Derbyshire. p61.
- <2> SDR6862 Article in serial: Fox, C and Grimes, W F. 1928. 'Corston Beacon, an early Bronze Age cairn in south Pembrokeshire', Archaeologia Cambrensis. Volume 8. p161.
- <3> SDR18789 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <4> SDR18790 Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile).
- <5> SDR6328 Personal Observation: F1 FRH 25-FEB-66.
- <6> SDR8643 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1977. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire. p51.
- <7> SDR14512 Index: NDAT. 1157.
- <8> SDR2466 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J. 1989. The Peak District Barrow Survey (updated 1994). Site 7:45.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 0885 6866 (20m by 20m) (Centre)|
|Civil Parish||HARTINGTON UPPER QUARTER, HIGH PEAK, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jun 11 2012 3:02PM