The post medieval obelisk was originally erected in 'Fountain Square' in 1762, it was moved to its present location in 1829. (1-3).
Grade II listed stone obelisk, 15 metres north of the chancel of All Saints Church, dating from the late 18th century. It is a square, tapering stone, approximately six feet high, coming sharply to a point at the top, standing on a stepped square stone base. It was formerly situated in Fountain Square, but was removed in 1829 to make way for a conduit head. (4).
The obelisk has been moved from its position just north of the church (SK 21226439) to a new position at the end of a footpath. This was apparently done in order to create a feature and seating area to cover an old mine shaft at the end of the path. (5)
Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. E221.
Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 1984:1/17,18.
Personal Observation: Heron, M. 1991. Pers. Comm.. 29/07/1991.
Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.
Unpublished document: 2010. Information from the Peak Park Conservation Officer, via email, 28/9/2010.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 2134 6433 (point) (Approximate)
YOULGREAVE, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 2 2010 5:00PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.