In March 2001 the new owner of the former vicarage, adjacent to Ilkeston church, reported the presence of dressed stonework, some fragments being decorated. It was considered that at least some of these came from the 14th century tomb of William de Cantelupe. Following this discovery, further investigations were undertaken by the Ilkeston and District Local History Society. Below modern ground levels the remains of two distinct buildings were uncovered, represented by wall foundations. The earlier of these structures is thought to be of late 14th century date, and possibly the first vicarage house to have been built on the site. Finds of pottery and glass suggest a period of occupation from the 14th through to the early 16th centuries. This early structure was covered by a demolition layer, although some of its materials had been reused in the construction of a later building on the same site. This is thought to date from at least the late 16th century and to represent a barn, stable or other outbuilding. A building is shown in approximately the correct position on a map of 1598. The outbuilding was finally demolished in 1845 and its remains used to construct various garden walls and features, or left scattered around the vicarage gardens. (1)
Site has also been considered to be the remains of a Tudor barn, with a previous phase being the foundations of a medieval building, possibly two medieval buildings. Further excavations in 2002 and 2003 where a drain or gutter was revealed associated with the medieval buildings. Another gutter feature was uncovered in 2003 which may be associated with the Tudor barn. In 2005, a mass of material relating to the construction of the vicarage was found, such as spread glass and pottery dating to the 19th century which is evident of land levelling. A further medieval boundary wall was also identified. (2)
Bibliographic reference: The Ilkeston and District Local History Society. 2003. The History Beneath Our Feet. The Story Behind Ilkeston's First Major Archaeological Discoveries..
*Internet Web Site: Ilkeston & District Local History Society. 2007. Ilkeston's Archaeology. http://www.ilkestonhistory.org.uk/ilkeston's%20Archaeology.htm.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 46601 41735 (31m by 25m) (Approximate)
ILKESTON, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Oct 30 2017 3:23PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.