Monument record MDR8450 - Guidestone, Brampton East Moor, Beeley
Type and Period (1)
- DIRECTION STONE (Stuart to Georgian - 1700 AD to 1750 AD)
On Brampton East Moor, about 350 yards east of Hob Hurst House, is an old stone guide post almost lost in heather, broken from its setting. The inscription is Sheaf-feilde-Roade, Cheste-rfeild-Road, Bakew-ell-Road. (1) The stone was re-erected in 1991 by Peak Park Rangers. (2). This guidestoop stands c. 320m east of Hob Hurst's House on Brampton East Moor, north-east of Harland Edge. It is gritstone, roughly square and measures 35cm x 35cm x 147cm, with upper case lettering of approximately 5cm. Hands below the lettering all point to the right, in the direction of the route. The grade II listed stoop is correctly aligned, marking the routes east to Chesterfield, north to Sheffield and west to Bakewell. (4) This pillar is inscribed on three faces, each with a destination, below which is a pointing hand with distinctive three fingers plus thumb. Each of these faces has the upper part around the text more finely dressed than above and below. The western face is blank. The inscriptions are as follows: South face 'CHESTE / RFEILD / ROAD'; East face 'SHEAF / FEILD / ROADE'; North face 'BAKEW / ELLROAD'. The stone was broken at its base and the top recumbent until re-erected by the National Park Ranger Service in 1991. Earlier records show it had been recumbent since at least 1921. It is not clear if there was an in-situ stump or whether it has been re-erected at the correct location and set with the faces correctly orientated. The stone is probably of early 18th century date, as an Act of Parliament of 1697, enforced locally in 1709, required that such stones should be set up by road commissioners. Today the stoop stands at the junction of several hollow ways; however, in its present position it is unclear why the route westwards is unsignposted, while the junction between the Chesterfield and Sheffield roads is not obvious at this point. Thus, the stone is ambiguously placed and this may suggest it has been moved. An original location close to Hob Hurst's House would in many ways make more sense, at a junction of three major hollow ways to the three places inscribed. (5) Photographic record. (6-8)
- <1> SDR15818 Article in serial: Tudor, T. 1935. 'Minor monuments and lesser antiquities of Derbyshire (2nd list), 1935', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 56, pp 80-87. p 81, no. 104.
- <2> SDR12683 Personal Observation: Smith, K (PPJPB). K Smith (Peak Park Joint Planning Board) personal communication. 10.9.1992.
- <3> SDR19109 Bibliographic reference: Hill, R (PPJPB). 1985. Peak Park Treasures. D54.
- <4> SDR19723 Bibliographic reference: Smith, H. 2000. The Guide Stoops of Derbyshire. 2nd and Revised Edition.. pp 80-81.
- <5> SDR19851 Unpublished document: Barnatt, J (PDNPA). 1998. The Chatsworth Estate Historic Landscape Survey, Chatsworth Moorlands: Archaeological Survey 1997-8. pp 101-102, Feaure 18.6.
- <6> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 1463.1-2.
- <7> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 477.20a-21a.
- <8> SDR18975 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Colour photograph collection. Film. 1994:512:6-7.
|Grid reference||SK 290 692 (point) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||BEELEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
Please contact the HER for details.
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 1 2016 10:22AM