Monument record MDR8460 - Viaduct, embankment and overbridge, north of Church Lane, Rowsley
Type and Period (4)
- RAILWAY BRIDGE (Victorian - 1851 AD to 1852 AD)
- VIADUCT (Victorian - 1851 AD to 1852 AD)
- EMBANKMENT (Victorian - 1851 AD to 1852 AD)
- OVERBRIDGE (Victorian - 1851 AD to 1852 AD)
Extant stone railway bridge carrying the 1860 Midland Railway extension from the previous terminus at Rowsley, north of Bakewell and Manchester. (1) Photographic record. (2, 3) A grade II listed railway viaduct, embankment and overbridge, built in 1851-2, to carry the Rowsley to Buxton extension of the Midland Railway over the River Derwent. It is constructed of massive coursed gritstone with rock-faced dressings. The slightly curved viaduct section to the east end comprises four semi-circular headed arches, springing from rock-faced padstones, set on rectangular piers rising from rounded cutwaters. A shallow parapet sits on a plain band course, with plain 20th century railings above. On the northern side, at either end of the viaduct, shallow raking buttresses support the abutments. Further to the west, a substantial embankment is faced with masonry on its northern face. This embankment is pierced at the western end by a narrow stilted semi-circular arched opening over a trackway. The arch is flanked by shallow pilaster-like buttresses, extending from which are downward sloping splayed and coped abutments, terminating at plain stone piers. (4)
- <1> SDR12683 Personal Observation: Smith, K (PPJPB). K Smith (Peak Park Joint Planning Board) personal communication. 1999.
- <2> SDR18970 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Black and white photograph collection. 456:16-19.
- <3> SDR18971 Photograph: Peak District National Park Authority (PDNPA). Slide Collection. 12214:1-4.
- <4> SDR19551 Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England. NHLE No: 1367028.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2557 6598 (84m by 36m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||ROWSLEY, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Jan 16 2017 3:57PM