Listed Building record MDR8544 - Ringwood Hall, Ringwood Road, Staveley

Type and Period (4)

  • (Georgian to Late 20th Century - 1809 AD to 1980 AD)
  • (Late 20th Century to 21st Century - 1996 AD to 2050 AD)
  • (Late 20th Century - 1980 AD to 1996 AD)
  • (Georgian to Late 20th Century - 1809 AD to 1980 AD?)

Protected Status/Designation

Full Description

Ringwood Hall, Ringwood Road, Staveley, built c1809. Ringwood Hall is a grade II listed building, architect Mr Thomas. The Hall was once the home of George Stephenson, the engineer. (1) An interesting if boxy house in a considerable and once fine wooded park. The house was built in c1809 by the ironmaster C H Barrow, who had married the widow of a co-owner of the Staveley Ironworks. It is of some size, with a 'porte cochere' of coupled Ionic columns, the order being repeated in a peristyle verandah, which is a major feature of the east and south fronts of the house. The main five by three bay two-storey block has architrave surrounds to its windows, cornice and parapet. To the west is a long, lower range of 9 bays, part recessed, almost as if an older 17th century house had been incorporated, although there is no real evidence for such in the fabric. Pleasing pedimented stables lie to the west. Inside is a fine stuccoed entrance hall, cantilevered staircase with a delicate wrought iron balustrade and some good marble fireplaces. By 1980 the house had become a club, originally for workers in the iron and steel industry, but later a public facility. In 1996 it was sold off and converted into a hotel. (2) From the National Heritage List for England: 'CHESTERFIELD ROAD, 1. 1675A RINGWOOD Ringwood House (Ringwood Club) (including former Coach House) SK 47 SW 2/22 II 2. Early C19. Coursed stone rubble with ashlar dressings; 2 storeys Main block, to left, has slightly projecting central bay, 5 sash windows overall in moulded architraves, porte cochere of coupled Ionic columns; moulded cornice, blocking course with acroteria and stuccoed panelled stacks, set diagonally. East and part of south sides have a continuous loggia of coupled Ionic columns. Portion to right of main block irregular with 3 projecting bays and 9 sash windows overall, and terminating with former coach house having 3 sash windows, 3-storeyed central bay with pediment enclosing clock face and surmounted by a squat tower with pyramidal roof and wind vane. Segmental-headed arch with keyblock, hipped slate roof. Modern wing at rear. Once the residence of George Stephenson the engineer. Listing NGR: SK4131273678.' (3)

Sources/Archives (3)

  • <1> Personal Observation: Information from N Horton, September 1991.
  • <2> Bibliographic reference: Craven, M & Stanley, M. 2001. The Derbyshire Country House: 2. 302.
  • <3> Listed Building File: Historic England. 2011. The National Heritage List for England.



Grid reference SK 41312 73678 (point)

Related Monuments/Buildings (0)

Related Events/Activities (0)

External Links (0)

Record last edited

Dec 30 2021 8:52PM

Comments and Feedback

Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.