Smedley's/Plackett's Factory, Croft Mill, off Church Street: This was built as a lace factory by John Smedley between 1842 and 1843. By 1887 he employed between 50 and 60 people. The factory was extended in 1892. Smedley's continued to make warp lace until 1913 when Robert Plackett bought the business. The new owner reconditioned a few of the old Smedley machines and installed his own warp machines which had previously been scattered around Stapleford. Plackett's main production was cotton tattings and it continued making warp lace until the end of the Second World War when the firm was sold to Levin Brothers of Nottingham. Raschel machines were installed from the late 1950s. (1)
Bibliographic reference: Mason, S A. 1994. Nottingham Lace, 1760s-1950s. pp. 303-5.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
SK 47980 37175 (point)
SANDIACRE, EREWASH, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Nov 13 2015 5:08PM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.