Monument record MDR8552 - Possible house platforms/s
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE PLATFORM (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
RCHME FIELD DESCRIPTION (1) SK 25104 63230: POSSIBLE HOUSE PLATFORMS Cut into the slopes of a slight natural knoll, is a prounouced, almost circular artificial platform, measuring approx. 6m in diameter. To the N is a less well-defined platform of similar size. Their topographic position offers shelter from the W winds. That at least one levelled area has been artificially cut into the natural slope is quite clear and the balance of evidence suggests that these features have not been produced by quarrying; their morphology is analogous with that of prehistoric platform stances for timber houses previously identified and recorded in Northumberland and more recently during other RCHME surveys in Derbyshire (1-8).
- <1> SDR19216 Bibliographic reference: Ainsworth, S (RCHME). 1987. Stanton Moore, Derbyshire, A Catalogue of Archaeological Monuments, Part 4. NAR Nos. SK 26 SE 11 -12, 34 -63.
- <2> SDR19217 Article in serial: Jobey, G.. 1983. 'Excavation of an unenclosed settlement on Standrop Rigg, Northumberalnd, and some problems related to similar settlements between Tyne and Forth'. Archaeological Aeliana. vol 11. p. 1-21.
- <3> SDR19218 Article in serial: Jobey, G.. 1985. 'The unenclosed settlements of the Tyne Forth: a summary'. British Archaeological Report.. BAR 143. p. 77-194.
- <4> SDR19219 Article in serial: Burgess, C.. 1980. 'Excavations at Houseledge, Northumberland and their implications for earlier Bronze Age Settlement in the Cheviouts'. Northern Archaeology. vol. 1. p. 5-11.
- <5> SDR19220 Excavation archive: Gates, T.. 1982. 'Excavations at Hallshill Farm, East Woodburn, Northumberland'. Archaeological Reports for 1981. p. 7-9.
- <6> SDR19221 Article in serial: Gates, T.. 1983. 'Unenclosed settlements in Northumberland'. British Archaeological Report.. BAR, British Series 118. p. 103-148.
- <7> SDR19222 Unpublished document: Gates, T & Ainsworth, S. 1979. Field Survey in Northumberland.
- <8> SDR19223 Unpublished document: Gates, T & Ainsworth, S. 1981. Field Survey in Northumberland - 1981 - A Report.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 25104 63230 (1m by 1m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 4:42PM