Monument record MDR8553 - Possible house platform
Type and Period (1)
- HOUSE PLATFORM (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
RCHME FIELD DESCRIPTION (1) SK 24652 63330: POSSIBLE HOUSE PLATFORM Situated on a gentle slope within an area of a multi-period field system, is an artificial platform of max. 14m diameter into the slope. There is an intermittent bank of earth and stones around the SE arc. The bank correlates ith a feature portrayed on a survey of the field system (2). Crossing the levelled area and post-dating it, is a linear rubble alignment which belongs to the second phase of linear clearance within the surrounding field system. The observed relationship between the platform and the linear alignment indicates the platform is earlier; because of this a pre-medieval, probable prehistoric date for the platform can be suggested, Perhaps even contemporary with the first phase of prehistoric fields identified in the surrounding field system. The morphology of this monument has similarities with the type of platformed house stance of prehistoric context identifed in Northern England, often in direct association with field systems (2-9)
- <1> SDR19224 Bibliographic reference: Ainsworth, S (RCHME). 1987. Stanton Moor, Derbyshire, A Catalogue of Archaeological Monuments, Part 3. Part 3.
- <2> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100. p. 18-99.
- <3> SDR19217 Article in serial: Jobey, G.. 1983. 'Excavation of an unenclosed settlement on Standrop Rigg, Northumberalnd, and some problems related to similar settlements between Tyne and Forth'. Archaeological Aeliana. vol 11. p. 1-21.
- <4> SDR19218 Article in serial: Jobey, G.. 1985. 'The unenclosed settlements of the Tyne Forth: a summary'. British Archaeological Report.. BAR 143. p. 77-194.
- <5> SDR19220 Excavation archive: Gates, T.. 1982. 'Excavations at Hallshill Farm, East Woodburn, Northumberland'. Archaeological Reports for 1981. p. 7-9.
- <6> SDR19221 Article in serial: Gates, T.. 1983. 'Unenclosed settlements in Northumberland'. British Archaeological Report.. BAR, British Series 118. p. 103-148.
- <7> SDR19222 Unpublished document: Gates, T & Ainsworth, S. 1979. Field Survey in Northumberland.
- <8> SDR19223 Unpublished document: Gates, T & Ainsworth, S. 1981. Field Survey in Northumberland - 1981 - A Report.
- <9> SDR19219 Article in serial: Burgess, C.. 1980. 'Excavations at Houseledge, Northumberland and their implications for earlier Bronze Age Settlement in the Cheviouts'. Northern Archaeology. vol. 1. p. 5-11.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 24652 63330 (1m by 1m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 5 2014 4:42PM