Monument record MDR8563 - Alleged cairn (T65), Stanton Moor, Stanton
Type and Period (1)
- CAIRN (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
[SK 24728 62883]: T65. This feature does not appear on a location map of numbered 'tumuli' on Stanton Moor (1). There is no documentary evidence of Heathcote undertaking excavations here, although there is ground evidence to suggest he did. It seems probable that the excavations took place after 1938, as a note under the heading "Excavations in Derbyshire, 1938" (2). It seems probable that 'tumulus' 65 is the burial mound depicted at SK 2472 6288 on a map derived from Heathocte's (3). This cairn is shown by the OS approx. 22m SE of T43 and scales c. 8m in diameter (4). On a later plan of monuments on Stanton Moor, a burial mound is depicted in this same position (5), and is also described as a 'round cairn 5m diameter' (6); no correlation to T65 is made. A further study also depicts a cairn at this position (7). On a map of monuments accompanying a further survey, a 'burial mound' roughly at the position indicated by the OS is numbered '65' and is classified generally as a small, low cairn for which there is no excavation report (8). RCHME FIELD DESCRIPTION SK 24720 62883: NATURAL FEATURE (9) The feature identified in all the documentary sources is visible as a stoney spread around a worked, rocky outcrop. Numerous fractured and worked stones, hollows and upcast, evidence the intensive stone gathering and surface quarry activities which have occurred on and around the outcrop. Interspersed with the disturbed features are some small concentrations of weatherworn stones which may represent the residue of cairn material, but there are now too few remains to confidently interpret this as a cairn site.
- <1> SDR7494 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1936. 'Further Excavations on Stanton Moor' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 57, pp 21-42.
- <2> SDR7500 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1938. 'Excavations in Derbyshire during 1938', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 59, p 83.
- <3> SDR15299 Bibliographic reference: Thomas, N. 1960. A Guide to Prehistoric England.
- <4> SDR17542 Map: OS. 1968. OS National Grid Series 1:2500. Edition of 1968.
- <5> SDR10777 Bibliographic reference: Hart, C (NDAT). 1981. The North Derbyshire Archaeological Survey to AD 1500.
- <6> SDR19174 Article in serial: Hart, C. R.. 1985. 'Stanton Moor, Derbyshire: Burial and Ceremonial Monuments', Upland Settlement in Britain. BAR, British Series 143.
- <7> SDR16424 Article in serial: Barnatt, J. 1986. 'Bronze Age remains on the East Moors of the Peak District', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 106, pp 18-100.
- <8> SDR18546 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1986. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire (revised edition).
- <9> SDR19190 Bibliographic reference: Ainsworth, S (RCHME). 1987. Stanton Moor, Derbyshire, A Catalogue of Archaeological Monuments, Part 2. NAR Nos. SK 26 SW 109 - 160. Part 2.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 24720 62884 (1m by 1m) (Surveyed)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 27 2015 2:35PM