Monument record MDR8566 - Possible barrow or cairn (T33), Stanton Moor, Stanton
Type and Period (1)
- BARROW (Bronze Age - 2350 BC to 701 BC)
- None recorded
[SK 24246272]: T33 This feature first appears in the archaeological record depicted on a location map of numbered 'tumuli' on Stanton Moor (1). Although no excavation report was published for this cairn, it is known that some level of excavation was undertaken by the Heathcotes, probably during the period 1934-1938 (2). The monument was not located during the investigation of Stanton Moor by the OS Archaeological Division in 1966. In a more recent assessment, T33 is listed as being 'small' with no further information and no indication of source (3). RCHME FIELD DESCRIPTION (4) From the map evidence (5,6), T33 should be 20m E of the New Park Quarry edge, the cairn was not located but may have been destroyed during quarry activities.
- <1> SDR7494 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1936. 'Further Excavations on Stanton Moor' Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 57, pp 21-42. map, p. 40.
- <2> SDR7500 Article in serial: Heathcote, J. 1938. 'Excavations in Derbyshire during 1938', Derbyshire Archaeological Journal. Volume 59, p 83.
- <3> SDR18546 Bibliographic reference: Marsden, B. 1986. The Burial Mounds of Derbyshire (revised edition). p. 80.
- <4> SDR19190 Bibliographic reference: Ainsworth, S (RCHME). 1987. Stanton Moor, Derbyshire, A Catalogue of Archaeological Monuments, Part 2. NAR Nos. SK 26 SW 109 - 160. Part 2.
- <5> SDR11740 Map: OS County Series. 1922. 1:25000 Derbyshire. XXVII 12.
- <6> SDR17542 Map: OS. 1968. OS National Grid Series 1:2500. Edition of 1968. SK 2462/2562.
|Grid reference||Centred SK 2424 6272 (10m by 10m) (Approximate)|
|Civil Parish||STANTON, DERBYSHIRE DALES, DERBYSHIRE|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 27 2015 2:34PM