The stone mill building known as Blackbrook Mill still stands on the south side of the Belper to Turnditch Road, with water close by, but no machinery remains. (1)
The mill was present by 1835, as it is shown on Sanderson's map of that date, with a mill pond to the west of the mill building. (2)
The mill was still working in 1880, as it is marked on the OS map as 'Flour Mill'. (3)
The mill is not named as a mill on the 2nd ed. OS map of 1900, and the pond is marked as 'Old Mill Pond', suggesting it had gone out of use by the end of the 19th century. (4)
Map: Sanderson, G. 1835. Twenty Miles round Mansfield.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1882. OS County Series, 1st edition, scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXXIX.16, 1880.
Map: Ordnance Survey (OS). 1896-1900. OS County Series, 2nd edition (1st revision), scale 1:2500 (c. 25" to one mile). Sheet XXXIX.16, 1900.
Find a placename, postcode or grid reference
The map is limited to 3000 records per layer so not all records are being displayed for this area. Zoom in to see more.
Centred SK 3315 4779 (108m by 73m)
BELPER, AMBER VALLEY, DERBYSHIRE
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Dec 21 2018 9:27AM
Comments and Feedback
Do you have any more information about this record? Please feel free to comment with information and photographs, or ask any questions, using the "Disqus" tool below. Comments are moderated, and we aim to respond/publish as soon as possible.